Saturday 20 July 2013

Ten Virgins

There have doubtless been many books written on the study of symbolism and the meanings of symbols.  I have a couple of such books myself, although their use has been very limited in my experience.  There are some symbols that tend to be universal of course;  we are one species after all.  However, I believe that no matter how general or even universal a symbol may be, or appears to be, in the end it is the task of the individual to discover for their own selves what lies hidden behind a symbol, assuming the task is considered to be one worth undertaking.  For me that task certainly is worth the effort, but that alone is not enough. More than that positive effort of discovery is needed before the task can be completed.  A state of open receptivity is also required, and that can only be achieved by putting aside all preconceptions.  

Jesus was reported to have said, "Seek and you will find;  knock and it will be opened to you."  He didn't say that the answers would come immediately, by the end of next week or even by the end of the month.  It may take years.  One must be constantly open and alert for that which we seek.  I like to think that perhaps the parable of the 'Ten Virgins' (Matt. 25:1-13) refers directly to this state of affairs. From the fountainhead of Truth (the Kingdom of Heaven) and brought to consciousness by means of the five senses of sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch (the virginal, as yet unfulfilled, areas of receptivity), spiritual truth in the symbolic form of the Bridegroom, or even the Druid in my case, will eventually come.  On the other hand, if the five senses are allowed to fall into a state of slumbering and sleep, like the foolish virgins, truth may come but pass by unnoticed. One must be prepared for the long haul and take sufficient oil for our lamps. 

Let us now turn to the journey up the mountain to the meeting with the 'wise person' described in my previous post, "Voice of Authenticity".  The first thing to notice is that the whole scene is bathed in moonlight.  That is to say, enlightenment comes from a state of receptivity, symbolised by the moon, traditionally a female symbol.  In addition, the mountains are arranged in a ring which again is a female symbol, but also a symbol of the eternal.  Now that enlightenment comes not easily;  the darkness of the unrevealed needs to be persuaded from his cave, his hidden place, by a willingness to listen and to learn with an open mind.  Unless the mind is open and a willingness for purgation of all else expressed, nothing is able to enter it.  It is significant also that truth shows no face, no personality or ego.  It is above all that.  Yet this was not the first time in my experience, nor would it be the last, that an abstraction such as truth would show itself as something living, as something alive.  That experience always makes me tingle with excitement.

Before leaving the mountaintop it is worth considering the inner geography of this place.  One talks from time to time about the 'Higher Self', the 'Lower self', and so on.  Now whilst I agree that talk of such selves can get in the way, can interfere, nevertheless there is some justification for talking about those states in that way, so long as one doesn't fall into the trap of assuming them to be separate, discrete entities.  This particular mountain or high country stands out from all other mountains in the area, thus underscoring a sense of relativity about the Druid's cave.  In a previous post, "A Walk in the Hills" (posted 25.5.2013), the high place was a ring of hills, not mountains, rising from a flat, surrounding plain.  This sense of one thing in relation to another is typical of my inner journeying. Thus one can indeed speak of a 'Higher Self', or at least a higher state of Being-ness within one's Self, but with caution.

Now we must retrace our steps down the strait and narrow way to the place where I stopped to look at the gift that truth had given me.  The amethyst is still worn by Catholic Bishops, or so I am given to understand, being called the Bishop's stone and representing piety, humility, sincerity and spiritual wisdom.  Well that's all very well, but is it really me?  Would I have applied those meanings to my Self? Much as I might like it to be otherwise, they would not be the character traits uppermost in my mind. Rather, I see the amethyst only as an amazingly beautiful jewel, a so wondrous gift.  Yet at that previously experienced higher level within my Self, this gift was just ordinary, run-of-the-mill stuff, rock chippings.  Is that not a staggering revelation? There is so much that is beautiful and wonderful inside us that it is almost commonplace, the normal. Yet as a species we seem to spend so much time searching 'out there' for treasures when there is so much that lies hidden in plain sight 'in here'. As perhaps an afterthought, I must add that there is something about the colour of amethyst, particularly when combined with emerald and white and/or gold, that rings a spiritual bell far down in the deeps of my being.  There are yet exciting, extraordinary journeys still to be undertaken.  

Within the depths of the amethyst, and after a great deal of loving exercising, appeared a gold ring. Once again, much has been written on the symbolic significance of gold, and gold rings.  For me a gold ring represents something of precious union.  "Union with what?" one might ask.  Union with God, or whatever that word may be a synonym for, the nostalgic longing of all mystics, the union that already exists here and now.  How could it have ever been otherwise?  And at the very heart of the jewel and the ring lies the diamond, perhaps a symbol of my mystic centre.  Would that be what is referred to as the soul, I wonder?

On this visit to the Higher state of Being-ness, the source of Truth, two positive actions were carried out.  The first was the ridding of all preconceptions, to allow an opening of the mind to receive what was on offer.  The second action was to exercise, with loving willing-ness, the gift thus received. Truth needs to be used and exercised, not returned to some dark place of unknowing.  Without Truth offered through contemplation, without a constant renewal of inner life, the soul will wither for want of spiritual sustenance.  This I believe.   

Finally, and as I continue on my inner journey, a question comes to mind which arises from my search for meaning and truth,

"Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom, are these not also part of the spectrum of Truth?"

20 comments:

  1. I am awed by your ability to so vividly describe your spiritual journey. These are things I am unable put into words, so a big thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pleasure to share these experiences that are both very important to me, and appreciated by my commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might come back to this post here, but for quickly now, I just want to say that regarding your last post I was going to ask "does the ring relate to any decision you made regarding 'eternal' or 'till death us do part'?".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a little difficult to describe the process whereby one 'knows'. No, I did not make a conscious decision about what the gold ring means to me. I just 'knew', intuitively. I hope this answers your query.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if any of the books you mentioned having read are those written by Jung? Symbols and archetypes are the very heart of his work. Although he had far more to say on the subject than I can recall, and also was more inclined to helping people overcome psychic illnesses rather than as a philosopher, I do remember him describing symbols as transformers that we use to convert libido from a lower into a higher form. Jung seems to have believed that our human capacity to receive symbols and to do something with them is what makes us human.

    Your descriptions of the symbols you've found and continue to contemplate is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan; I have two books on symbols and their meaning, and a further two books by Jung dealing with archetypes and symbols. I must confess that I struggle with both his books. I have only occasionally come across a trickster-ish figure. Other symbols can often only be interpreted by the context rather than the image per se.

    Whilst I accept that his work is interesting and useful in dealing with psychosis or psychological problems, I have often found myself asking, "What has this to do with my experience?" The 'feel' of what he describes, and my own internal conversational experience seem to be poles apart. There is also the very personal applicability to be considered.

    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jung's autobiogaphical Memories, Dreams and Reflections first opened up the transformational aspects of his philosophy for me. Besides that, it's completely fascinating to read some stories that are very 'unscientific' about his own spiritual development.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess to not having read his "Memories, Dreams and Reflections". One piece about him which I did thoroughly enjoy was the story of his inner journey, recorded in his Red Book, Liber Novus.

    I had always meant to purchase an English translation of that work, but forgot all about it until your latest comment. Must do, and straightaway. Many thanks for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spectrum of Truth. Yes. Truth is manifold range, not merely a point. I agree. I am thinking of your last post, your initial attempts to pry apart the crystal. Quick action and forceful effort. And then your discovery that you were able to "easily take the structure apart by lovingly willing the component crystals to slide along their fracture planes." These fracture planes fascinate me. And this you take up at the beginning of the present post when you write of hidden symbols and receptivity. You've given me much to ponder. Thank you, Tom!

    I have often wondered why the moon in German is "der" Mond (masculine), while in other languages, the moon takes the feminine. In German, sun is "die" Sonne, and in other languages it takes the masculine.

    And here, I recall another point made by Gebser when he discusses truth, verition, waring: "The actual effectuality of the apocryphal words of Jesus does not take place in the conceptual and representational spatio-temporal world, nor in the two-dimensional, nor in the one-dimensional world. Only where the world is space-free and time-free, where 'waring' gains validity, where the world and we ourselves - the whole - become transparent, and where the diaphanous and what is rendered diaphanous become the verition of the world, does the world become concrete and integral."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am enjoying these interchanges with interested commenters. Tell me, what is the title of the work from which you quote? My access to Gebser is very limited. I would appreciate a guide; if you are able, that is. No pressure or rush.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too! I've got the collected works of Gebser in 8 volumes in the language he wrote them in - German. Unfortunately, only 2 of his works have been translated into English, and these two have been collected into one volume: The Ever-Present Origin, trans. Noel Barstad with Algis Mickunas, Ohio University Press, 1986. isbn 0-8214-0769-4

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well thank you Susan for that brief return to 2009. Now I'm really looking forward to reading it. And it won't take ten years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tom, what I respond to and admire in your search and in your descriptions of it is the fidelity, consistency, intensity and excitment you put into it but also your careful and pragmatic preparations for the journey. An image comes to mind of a dedicated explorer - Scott of Antartica or Cousteau, say - but setting out into regions far more remote and deeper than any on this planet. It's a privilege to be able to share your notes on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it not because of Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom being parts of Truth that there are so many truths and that your truth is not truer than mine?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natalie, thank you very much. The strange thing is that I found your comment had arrived when I was checking Google for the name of an explorer.

    But seriously, I do so love finding like minds, and sharing my inner discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could well be correct, Ellena.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tom, I hope you know that I wanted to say ".....that ones truth is not necessarely truer than someone elses".
    And now I ask myself if there can be Wisdom without Knowledge, or Knowledge without Understanding, or Understanding without Wisdom or - - forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forget? Not in a million years. It is questions that are important, and doubt, or at least to question...aw forget it! :)

    ReplyDelete